sm-discuss - Re: Sorcery mirroring (Was: Re: [SM-Discuss] Don't updated todays [snip] sorcery)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Sorcery mirroring (Was: Re: [SM-Discuss] Don't updated todays [snip] sorcery)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:10:50 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:01:04AM -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:19:37AM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> > > >
> > > Too bad we don't have SORCERY_MIRRORS anymore, might have gotten a good
> > > copy
> > > from somewhere else....
> > >
> > Haha very funny, take your flames and bitter feelings elsewhere. Besides
> > what if it was broken on the perforce server? Everything would be broken.
> >
> > In anycase i updated a known good copy on the server SINCE I CAN, and
> > if we had mirrors I couldnt unless I have an acocunt there! Please re-read
> > previous discussions on why we dont have sorcery mirrors. Unless your
> > willing to setup round-robin dns for it, its not happening.
>
> I can have round-robin DNS setup in a couple minutes.
>
> I also thought sorcery update used the libdownload code which respected
> our mirroring logic so RRDNS wasn't needed.
>
> In fact, R'ingTFS, it looks like it uses dl_source() in
> update_sorcery_scripts() at the beginning of libsorcery.

If dl_source is still in your version of sorcery you must be pretty out
of date.

In anycase Id need at least some sort of access to all mirrors via ssh
keys so I could update new stuff, and possibly fix other problems, like
broken or compromised tarballs. Id rather not have to depend on someone
else to fix problems for me, it'd be nice also to be able to adjust the
rr mirrors your dns knows about easily, not that you're every really
not online. Also we really ought to have the update scripts run from
cron do at least some basic tarball sanity checking (does it unpack,
does install install to cmd line argument (install /tmp/test-install/).
Of course, also, we'd need another hostname to point at for sorcery
since currently we just use the downloads.sourcemage.org and round robin
dns'ing that would imply that sorcery mirrors would be full mirrors.

And it'd also be nice to have the tarballs gpg signed so its harder to
compromise them...(and more obvious when they're broken)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |