sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] CD record for non-root users

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] CD record for non-root users
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:41:26 +0100

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:39:36PM +0100, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> Le Dimanche 31 Octobre 2004 10:33, Arwed von Merkatz a écrit :
> >
> > My setup of cdrecord works without the suid bit and allows all users in
> > the burning group to burn cds, not sure if that's also affected by that
> > problem with kernel 2.6.9.
> > The only thing i did was setting the cd recorder device to be writable
> > by group burning:
> > brw-rw-r-- 1 root burning 22, 0 Oct 30 14:07 /dev/hdc
> >
> > With this cdrecord without suid bit happily writes cds as user.
>
> Are you really sure Arwed ? I thought that cdrecord pass through the rights
> in
> order to just let root burning.
> For /dev/hdc, I have the same setup too.
> Do you use kernel 2.6.9 and latest cdrtools ?

cdrecord only complains that it can't set realtime priority, since
that's reserved for root, but with modern burners with burnfree/buffer
underrun protection that's not needed.
I haven't had a suid root cdrecord in more than two years and am happily
burning cds and dvds all the time.

http://www.sourcemage.org