sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Developers: Urgent Perforce server recovery...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Developers: Urgent Perforce server recovery...
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:36:30 -0700

Quoting Tony Smith <tony AT smee.org>:
> OK, here's the scoop. Having lost /home on our Perforce server I've rebuilt
> from last night's backup. That means there may be more recent work in your
> workspaces than there is in the Perforce server.
>
> There are also lots of other things broken: like the automatic building of
> tarballs and population of the download directory to name but a few. I'll
> get
> to those in time.
>
> So, I'm about to fire up the perforce server again and I need your help to
> bring things back up to date again.
>
> Rule#1: Do not use 'p4 revert' until you've completed the steps below - you
> will likely lose some work.
>
> The object of the exercise now is to re-submit all the work you've done
> since
> 3am UK time. You can use Perforce to help you find out what that is. Please
> run:
>
> cd <top of your workspace>
> p4 diff -se ... | p4 -x - edit
> p4 diff -sd ... | p4 -x - delete
> find . -type f | p4 -x - add 2>/dev/null
>
> Then run:
>
> p4 opened
>
> and check the list of files you have opened for add/edit and delete. Look
> out
> for the files opened for add especially - any 'turds' in your workspaces
> (like vim recovery files etc) will be included here. Revert those files that
> should not be added - note, don't revert edits unless you're really happy to
> lose those changes.
>
> Submit the files.
>
> Remember, it's better to have bad changes in the SCM system than good
> changes
> that get lost on your PC. If in doubt - submit it, we can sort out any
> errors
> later.
>
> Thanks for your co-operation.

$ p4 resolve -as
<resolves>
Locking 34 files ...
Submit validation failed -- fix problems then use 'p4 submit -c 45761'.
Submit check 'executable_check' failed: no error message

<fix problems>
$ p4 resolve -as
No files to submit from the default changelist.
Use 'p4 submit -c 45761' to submit file(s) in pending change 45761.

-sandalle