sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gettext . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gettext . . .
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:25:00 -0700

Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> As an excercise for my own personal amusement and system requirement, I have
> been working on trying to make gettext an optional dependency in the
> grimoires, but I have reached a stopping point for me. I was able to modify
> several spells and get the packages to compile and work (AFAICT) correctly
> w/o gettext. My stopping points are at glib2 and orbit and pretty much
> anything depending them.
>
> I do currently have a fairly functional system w/xorg and several window
> managers (including AfterStep and WindowMaker) installed and running. It
> seems, however, that any GTK+ or GTK+2 based app (anything GNOME or
> Enlightenment, for example) will need to have gettext installed. For anyone
> who has a CLI only system or a minimal windowing system and who is not
> interested in having gettext on their system, it is possible. Also, our
> basesystem does not /need/ gettext.
>
> I haven't ventured into the Qt/KDE area to see how possible it would be to
> have a gettext free system
>
> My question at this point is, is this anything anyone is interested in? I
> know we frequenlty quote the "Coice is good" creedo, but if no one is really
> interested in this particular choice, then I won't bother with submitting
> updated spells, nor continuing to see if there is anything else that may
> optionally depend on gettext.

If you have the time and inclination, please continue. As Arjan pointed out
some
laptops (such as mine as well ;() have very limited disk space. Removing
gettext
also removes extra steps some spells would have to go through and reduces some
of the complexity. I'm all for it and would use it on at least my laptop.

-sandalle