sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] sorcery bug re-org

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] sorcery bug re-org
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:04:37 -0700

I think that the current scheme for organizing sorcery bugs in bugzilla
is not granular enough, the version field is basically meaningless
because theres a "1.x series", "devel", and "feature request" version. But
no real information about when we're going to fix it.

Therefore Im proposing the following plan:
Add versions for each major (current/past/future) sorcery release series:
1.10.x
1.11.x
1.12.x
1.13.x

The version will essentially indicate what version the bug will be /fixed/ in.
If a bug is so severe that we aren't going to fix it in 1.10, but we will
in 1.11 we'll target it there. Feature requests that are too extensive to
fix in the upcoming release (e.g 1.11) will be targetted to the release
we'll fix it in. In a way this will become our roadmap.

I'll probably also have a "untargetted release" for features that I cant
figure out when we'll do them.

All bugs in the "feature request" version will be moved to the "feature
request" component.

Another enhancement to this scheme would be to add a "found in" field,
so if a bug is found in 1.10.x but its going to be fixed in 1.11 we can
document that. I however dont have the ability to add that to bugzilla,
so for now I'll stick with using the version field as a "will be fixed
in" field.

I'll keep the devel field around as well for actual bugs found in devel
sorcery.

I'll begin by moving the bugs into the different bins that I've mentally
grouped them into. I welcome discussion of my placement of bugs,
my initial re-org is just to get it done and display what my own plan
is. In this way I believe it will more accessable to everyone what is
going on in the team, what my goals are, when bugs will be fixed, and
what to work on.

-Andrew

  • [SM-Discuss] sorcery bug re-org, Andrew, 08/27/2004