sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] split gcc spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] split gcc spells
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:07:55 +0200

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:54:13AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> We do gain the fact that when I decide to play with Objective C for a
> few days, I don't have to wait a week for gcc to rebuild with the
> compiler, and when I'm done, I dont' can remove the compiler I want.
> Dito for gcj. Also, it helps pave the way for the future when we have
> different classes of depends like compile time depends and runtime
> depends.

No, since you still have to recast gcc to get the compiler, the only
thing that's split out is the runtime libraries, which doesn't help us
at all for depends. It does make trying a new compiler a tiny bit faster
since you don't have to recompile libstdc++ every time, but that's it.

> Unn... have I even told you about that yet? It's been a long standing
> occasional request on the "would be nice to have" list.

Would be nice if we really had a split compiler, but that's not the
case.