sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Web Based Applications . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Web Based Applications . . .
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:06:40 -0700

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:39:01PM -0700, Jason Flatt wrote:
> To open the can, here...
>
> We have several spells in the various grimoires that are Web or LAMP based
> apps, and I have a few more that I want to create and submit, but there
> doesn't seem to be a clearly defined "official" way of installing and
> setting
> up these types of programs, and I really don't want to keep altering
> spells,
> because we haven't come to a consensus on how they should be setup.
>
> I thought there was a bug for this, but I cannot locate it now.
>
> I think the primary thing here is agreeing on where the files should be
> installed. Do they belong in /usr/share, or in the setting defined by the
> HTTP server, or somewhere else? And, if they are installed in a location
> that the HTTP server does not serve pages from, do we modify the HTTP
> server's config file or not?
>
> It seems to me that this could/should be a library of some sort, but I'd be
> happy with just agreeing on some of the details so that I didn't feel like
> was going to have to keep changing spell files.

I suggest /usr/share/$SPELL/ with a POST_INSTALL message stating where
it will be.

I use different webservers for different needs, and often have on box
handling many ips and/or domains, so I'd rather not have it edit
httpd.conf for me unless you can have an optional depends on a WEBSERVER
where I can enter [0] (for nothing) and have [n] check to see which
flavor it is (apache/non-apache) and modify the config file if it wants
if it is apache or some other webserver it knows how to configure itself
for.

I actually think it would be a better idea to have a separate utility
for this since it is quite more complicated than it looks, especially if
you want to have more than one person using the same piece of software.
Maybe call the utility "spin" (as in how spiders spin a "web"). You'd
be able to setup ip and name based virtual hosting with it and mix and
match depending on the need, with various webservers and ftp/ssh
servers.

Something like what cPanel is supposed to be except curses-based and
useful.

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org