sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] automount help

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Derek Moyes <sorcerer AT flamesnyper.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] automount help
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:15:09 -0500

OK, so I got this crazy idea to try out automount... I have it all setup, but
it's acting kinda weird.

Here are my files:
####
# auto.master file
/var/autofs/removable /etc/auto.removable --timeout 6
/mnt /etc/auto.mnt --timeout 7200

####
# auto.mnt file
raid -fstype=nfs,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 10.252.1.2:/mnt/raid

####
# auto.removable
cdrom -fstype=auto,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdroms/cdrom0
floppy -fstype=auto,sync,users :/dev/fd0
ipod -fstype=vfat,users \
:/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
usbkey -fstype=vfat,sync,uid=500,gid=300 \
:/dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

# (those last 2 lines aren't actually separated, I did it just to make
# this email easier to read)

#### end of files

Alright, so what's happening is this... when I mount one of the "removable
devices" in a console window it seems to work fine... I can 'cd' into the
directory, etc, etc.

But in gnome, if I have a window open... it closes after the "--timeout"
period.
How can I get automount to recognize that I have the directory in use when I
just have a gnome window open? The "raid" device on the remote computer works
fine, probably because the timeout is so long. I want the timeouts short so
that I can just remove the cd/floppy/usbkey/ipod after waiting a few seconds.
If I sit at a bash prompt in the named folder "/var/autofs/removable/usbkey"
then the gnome window will stay open.

I can't seem to find anything about this with google.

For what it's worth, I'm using:
kernel 2.4.24
autofs 4.0.0pre10 (latest)
gnome 2.6

If I can get this working, I'd be happy to write up a mini howto... any help
would be appreciated.

-- Derek, sorcerer AT flamesnyper.com