sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] udev CD drive permissions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ross Pearlstone <ross AT pearlstoneusa.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] udev CD drive permissions
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:32:10 -0400

Hi All,

I have a new SM install running kernel 2.6.6 with udev. I have a few
wrinkles to iron out. One being my inability to play music CD's
seemingly due to the permissions of /dev/hdc

brw------- 1 root root 22, 0 2004-05-23 22:19 /dev/hdc

the changing of those permissions produces the desired results. Now my
*limited* understanding of this is that udev creates the device node as
needed by the system. So is udev responsible for creating the wrong
permissions? Or are the permissions correct and there is something else
I need to configure to make this automatic? BTW my fstab entry for this
device looks like this:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto defaults,noauto,user 0 0

Can anyone help?

Cheers
--
Ross Pearlstone | A girl phoned me and said...Come on over
ross AT pearlstoneusa.com | there's nobody home. I went over... Nobody