sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg + nvidia

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg + nvidia
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:30:57 -0700

Quoting Mathieu L <lejatorn AT linuxmail.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed something weird related to Xorg and/or Nvidia drivers but I
> don't know if it's a bug and if yes, from each one is the bug coming
> from, so I'm asking for your advices.
> To be sure that everything was correctly done after I got this problem
> I dispelled both of them before retrying to test them. I firstly
> casted Xorg with -c -r, and then I did the same for nividia drivers.
> I launched immediatly X with a simple startx, everything went fine, I
> tested glxgears which gave me something like 1000fps.
> Then I rebooted and when I tried to startx X again I got the classical
> no screen found error (I know, I should have looked in the log to the
> the actual error) and I think it was because it didn't find some Gl
> modules. Note that I could still launch X if I switched back to nv
> instead of nvidia.
> Finally I just recasted again nvidia drivers and I could startx again
> with nividia without any problem (until next reboot I guess).
>
> Any clue?
>
> /Lejatorn.

It sounds like you're not loading the 'nvidia' module at boot. Just put
"nvidia"
(without the quotes) in /etc/modules and it will automatically be loaded.
hotplug/udev/etc. do not auto-load binary modules (or at least the nVIDIA
module), but when you cast "NVIDIA_driver" it runs a `modprobe nvidia` at the
end and so loads the module for you.

-sandalle