sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire API and splitting BUILD

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire API and splitting BUILD
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:28:30 -0800

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:07:23PM +0200, Robert Helgesson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:55:52 -0800, Andrew wrote:
> > * COMPILE the actual act of compiling the software, should not
> > require a priveledged user. (ie ./configure; make)
>
> Was there a problem with keeping BUILD? The name COMPILE doesn't stike
> my fancy at all.

Mostly because BUILD will continue to imply the three steps it currently
does and I want to avoid confusion, I personally could care less what
they are called. The initial draft of the solution was to use a different
set of names in order to allow cast to figure out what to do (if compile
or install exists do the new thing, if build exists, do the old thing).

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |