sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] distcc and Unsermake

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] distcc and Unsermake
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:27:01 +0000

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:06:11 +1000, Hamish Greig wrote

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:34, Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
> > http://www.csh.rit.edu/slashdot/distcc.html

> it says memory usage for compiles never went above 60MB, so if kde
> was compiled as part of the tests then --enable-final definitely
> wasn't used. I turned off distcc for kde due to it using --enable-
> final, it is noted as a problem in the distcc FAQ [0]and I found it
> increased compile times here, and it even caused prometheus to
> timeout (30 min timeouts) during any kde compile on my pII 300 cluster.
> If you want distcc then add a configure option to every spell that
> uses - --enable-final so those of us with experience of the problem
> can still either turn of distcc or --enable-final or both.
>
> [0]http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html#enable-final

He quite explicitely mentions kdelibs, so I assume at least that one was
compiled. And I mention Unsermake because, in that article, it is mentioned
that Unsermake is able to do paralel makes of the different directories of a
project. On the faq you mention, it is explained that the reason why distcc
and --enable-final don't mix well is because --enable-final joins all source
files "by creating a dummy file which simply includes every C++ sourcefile".
>From the rest of the distcc faq, I assume this is per directory/project -
might be a wrong assumption on my part, but if I am right, Unsermake will
still allow us to use distcc and gain something from it. Of course, if I have
the time I'll try and go thru every kde spell and add that configure option. I
can move the "DISTCC_HOSTS=" from DETAILS to PREPARE, right?

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com