sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:23:10 +0200

Am Dienstag, 30. März 2004 03:58 schrieb Hamish Greig:
> Using the individual cache files to install has brought a question into my
> mind.
> Shouldn't the actual transfer to hard-disk be done after configuring
> everything ? [...]

for stuff that takes long it would be good to ask questions first, and do
stuff next.

But let me think out loud:

1) partitioning, formating, mounting
this needs to be step by step and interactive anyway...

2) installing
the must-have parts can actually be started immediately i think.
adding a small editor or something needed for network afterwards won't mean
having to wait long.
( if you feel like doing a really sophisticated solution, you could allow the
user to select the optional parts while still extrackting the others :-)

3) doing the post-install-configuration
can't be done earlier

4) chroot into for compiling
( is this actually needed, or can be rebooted at this point allready? )
sorcery should handle everything here, right?

I think all this doesn't leave much choice, or am i missing something?

Worf