sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ethernet in plain kernel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ethernet in plain kernel
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:39:59 -0800

On Friday 30 January 2004 6:20 am, S. Barret Dolph wrote:
> On Friday January 30 2004 22:11, Hamish Greig wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:57, S. Barret Dolph wrote:
> > > I installed SM without any options from the kernel. When I run ifconfig
> > > eth0 or ifconfig eth1 I get device not found. (I have a new box with
> > > two lan connections. )
> >
> > You will need to load the module for your card.
> >
> That is I will have to compile a kernel with the correct modules selected
> and compile Linux Kernel.

(I suppose it's a big netiquette no-no to re-order the message.) :^)

Try running either 'cat /proc/pci' or 'lspci' (probably the first one), and
then, once you know which network devices Linux thinks you have installed,
running 'modprobe <some-network-module-name>' for each card you have
installed. Or, alternatively, re-compile your kernel saying 'y' rather than
'm' to the various network drivers (this is what I did).

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)