sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] libsoup and MSN bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wilmer van der Gaast <wilmer AT gaast.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] libsoup and MSN bug
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:57:57 +0100

Sorry for interrupting, but I found your message through Google, about the troubles between libsoup and the MSN servers.

"The pending Bitlbee (bug #4633) uses it... although it seems to work without the patch."

On many fast machines (or slow machines with a slow Internet connection) it seems to work indeed. On my XP1700+ an unpatched libsoup with BitlBee works. But when I run exactly the same code on my P2-350 server, it fails to connect. Also, when I put a little more load on my XP1700+, suddenly BitlBee fails.

The problem is, libsoup usually waits until bytes_received == total_length, but if the machine is a bit slower and the buffer fills to quickly (for some reason the MSN/passport servers send more data than they promise) bytes_receieved > total_length, which makes libsoup get stuck in some kind of loop and give up eventually.

So all my little patch does is using >= instead of == in that check.

Just FYI,

Wilmer van der Gaast.

--
| lintux : :' : lintux.cx | | OSS Programmer www.bitlbee.org |

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] libsoup and MSN bug, Wilmer van der Gaast, 01/05/2004