sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:30:30 +0100

On 04/01/04 20.22, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> > There has now been, for the second time in the last few months, a
> > question
> > about the name of our distribution. When the name change was finalized,
> > all
> > of our public interfaces (mail lists, Web sites, etc.) also changed and
> > none
> > of the existing public interfaces have any of the history from before the
> > name change.
> >
> > I may be wrong, but as I remember it, the name that won the vote was
> > "Source
> > Mage GNU/Linux". I remember it so vividly, because I voted against it.
> > :^)
> > (And the guy who wanted it so much is no longer with us.) I thought the
> > name
> > stunk and I wanted something else. (I was also not very pleased with any
> > of
> > the offerings, but failed to come up with anything better, so here I
> > stand.)
> >
> > Despite the fact that I voted against it, I now defend it whenever it is
> > questioned or challenged.
> >
> > What I'm looking for now is if there is anyone out there who was wise (or
> > smart, or lucky, or...) enough to save some or all of our history. I'm
> > only
> >
> > interested in the time period from when our first fearless leader went
> > into
> > isolation (ahem -- deep coding) to when then name change took effect. I
> > think we should, if possible, try to reintegrated it back into our
> > existing
> > public interface or at least provide a place on the Web site or Wiki
> > where
> > the information can be publicly accessed.
> >
> > What say you?
>
> I think that this is a great idea! However, I didn't have my server at the
> time
> and was in the habit of formatting my drive quite often (trying the new
> ISO's.
> ;)), so I only have the third month of 2002 for the SGL lists
> (hvs.envisage.co.za) (which is right after everything was pulled by the
> aforementioned leader), and everything since the fourth month of 2002 for
> our
> new SGL lists (sorcerylinux.org), if any of that would help.

I had a look in my email directory (fairly large since I'm on a few
lists, and a notorious packrat), and my subscription the the SGL
mailing list is dated 'Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:34:10 +0200', so from that
point on I should have everything (unless it was lost in transit). If
I can get a list of what is missing, I'll see about getting it from my
archieve (I'll need to remove unneeded headers and the odd personal
mail that might have gotten in there).

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein