sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-latest doesn't point to latest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT free.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-latest doesn't point to latest
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:36:23 +0100

Hi,

I think this "latest" link is just a bad idea that was already discussed.
Why it is a bad idea?

-> the link is always moving (and it's not even a link)
-> it's wasting space (since it's not a symlink, but a file copy!)
-> we don't know if it should be updated for pre-releases or only for stable
releases

I think that it should be replaced by a single file named
"LATEST_IS_0.7.1". Btw, the ISO 0.7.1 has been announced on several
mailing list : sm-admin, sm-announce, sm-users. There is a post
on http://news.sourcemage.org and http://forums.sourcemage.org. I also
make an annoucement on freshmeat. All those annoucements have a DIRECT
link to the proper file.

So, how people belonging to the core sourcemage team STILL download
"latest" ??? Aren't you all suscribed to sm-admin (we have been told that
it's for developpers recently)?

Btw, did someone notice the new download area where you can see whole
filename? ... or am I just wasting my time? :-(

Waiting for comments,
Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO Guru