sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Network device config file format update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Robert Helgesson <rycee AT home.se>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Network device config file format update
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:30:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Robert Helgesson wrote:
> The new system for configuring network devices is in the devel grimoire
> now. Please try it out, I'm sure there are a few bugs.

The /etc/init.d/runlevels/%3/network script (at least in the test
grimoire) needs an 'export' before _OBEY_UP_ON_BOOT=1, or the ifup script
doesn't see the variable being set. I can file a bug for this when I get
into the office.

> UP_ON_BOOT - If set to "no" then the device will not be brought up
> automatically during boot. Anything else than "no" is
> considered as an "yes".
> MTU - A number specifying the Maximum Transfer Unit. Can be empty.
> POINTOPOINT - The address used for point-to-point mode. Can be empty.

I'm going to add options for these into the netconf program. UP_ON_BOOT
will just be a checkbox (defaulting to yes), MTU and POINTTOPOINT will
default to being empty. Is there a valid range for MTU or can it be set to
any positive integer? I'd like to have a bit of sanity checking so people
don't set MTU to 'foo'.

> The following functions can be created in the config file. None of them
> take any arguments.
>
> do_device_up, do_device_down
> Overrides what normally is a call to ifconfig or dhcpcd.
>
> do_route_up, do_route_down
> Allows overriding of default call to the route command.
>
> do_status
> Overrides the default text printed for this device when doing
> "telinit run network status".
>
> on_up, on_down
> Run when device has been successfully been brought up and down
> respectively.

I'm going to leave these out of netconf, but it will leave the functions
intact if they exist in a network device file. This will allow netconf to
edit the other options without destroying the custom functions.

On a side note, I'm going to test out ifplugd for managing my ethernet
connections on my laptop. It looks pretty handy! I'll submit a spell when
I've tested it out.

-casey