sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] init woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Kolb <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] init woes
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:44:05 -0500

So my xscreensaver decided to lock up my system (think it's the nvidia
drivers), and so I had to reboot. When I did, I noticed that the output
to the init stuff had changed. While I understand why the change was
made it looks kind of ugly to me. Also, it seems like everything takes
longer to load because more text is placed on the screen, and somethings
are displayed twice (samba has a "success" a total of four times) and
gdm comes up with about twenty of these: "line 10: printstatus not
found" or something like that.

I understand that this was changed so that we could have services start
in parallel, but is there anyway we could have the old behavior stay for
the sequential init? Or modify what we have now as it's a little slower
and not as pretty?

I'm just trying to think this through and I respect the work that's gone
into this (don't take this the wrong way!).

Jeremy