sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automating rsync through a script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automating rsync through a script
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:20:05 -0500

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

> > Another option here would be to use public/private key system. Generate
> > your keys, drop the public key on gambit.gotdns.org and leave the private
> > key unencrypted on the local machine. Not any less secure than having the
> > password in the script itself. If you're willing to type in a passphrase
> > when you boot the machine, you could use ssh-agent and the private key
> > would be kept encrypted.
>
> you still have to run expect eof or interact, or you end up in the
> same place with the script exiting prematurely. but using ssh-agent for
> authentication is more elegant and easy than keeping your password in
> an expect script.
More elegant? yes. Easier? Not really. Because then I'd have to do two things
make it work, this time I just expose my password in a script. There really
isn't a super secure way to do this, but this works enough for me. Also the
passphrase on boot thing would be kinda hard since this computer has no
monitor/keyboard on it. Uptime is hyooge and it's just a server.

I was just getting frustrated with expect and wanted to make it do the rsync
automagically for me without having to do it myself. I'm keeping a mirror of a
cvs server so that if one goes down or one of our isps decides to chew on the
cables we'll still have access to a repository.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Dave Kowis

find ~your -name '*base* | xargs chown :us

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] Automating rsync through a script, David Kowis, 10/01/2003