sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] X and Inet6

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] X and Inet6
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dufflebunk said:
> I seem to be having a problem with my x server thinking that it can use
> IPv6. Here's the dope:
>
> $ export DISPLAY=localhost:0
> $ xclock
> _X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
> _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
> _X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/localhost:0
> Error: Can't open display: localhost:0
> $
>
> In an strace, everything looks goo up until:
> socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM, 0) = -1 EAFNOSUPPORT (Address family
> not supported by protocol)
>
> The same command on another box without this error, results in
> socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
>
> Anyone have any idea how to tell X to ditch the IPv6 support?

When you compiled net-tools, did you say 'y' to configure? And if so, did
you then say 'y' to IPV6 support (default is 'n' to both)? Does your
kernel have IPV6 support? If yes to any of these, perhaps a compile of
xfree86 detected these changes. Did this problem occur after recompling
xfree86, or did it start happening without a recompile of xfree86?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61