sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:25:27 -0700

> > Andrew,
> >
> > Can you tell us what's going on? You've been driving this nicely, and
> > than this. I didn't notice Robert (rycee) even participating in the
> > mailing list discussion. Your reply to the problem report in this thread
> > shows that you're not supporting your changes anymore. People, what's
> > going on, can't you get along nicely?
> >
> Andrew,
>
> As maintainer of the init.d spell I have given my permission to get the
> /devices over to /dev, so submit the changes to devel branch.
>
> As maintainer I also expected to be told in an email when this happens (I
> can't follow all discussions all the time and I trust you all. Bug reports
> will follow if things are borked, but w/o submitting the changes nothing
> will
> happen. Either submit them to devel or let me do it.
>
> So Andrew please let me know the status and why the code has not been added
> the devel init.d spell?

The reason is simple, after talking (read arguing) with rycee on IRC,
it turns out that he is working on his own new improved init.d spell
(as i mentioned). I handed off my work to him and he set out integrating
it with what is currently there. I've laid out the groundwork, and at
this point he needs to integrate it properly with his version of the
spell. IMO if we were to try collaborating it would be less effective,
he needs to just tie it all together and make sure it works. From what ive
gathered this is the case. Im still eager to get this through, and am not
'giving up' its just not something I am willing or able to handle anymore.

Im also tired of 1) explaining how this works and 2) disagreeing on how this
works with everyone because either a) someone doesnt understand or b) I dont
understand some apparent technicality of how this works.

Ive been doing work on a tinderbox and have a good chunk of the central
code in a beta stage (i think), Im trying to head up this 'project'
while writing some spells that i need and working 10-12 hours a day in
RL, Im trying as hard as I can :)