sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: The Well-Beloved Bard <dezmond AT bardicgrove.org>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:25:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Hamish Greig wrote:
> I think it has just been a long week for all of us, i hope you can forgive
> Andrews bluntness

It's all right -- no harm done, and no offense taken...

> The solution to this is to mount devfs at boot not via mount scripts then
> devfsd (if used for compatibility) will see existing kernel devices and
> make
> links as necessary.

Ah - that's probably what I needed to know - I have devfs mounting at boot
in the kernel I saw these problems with. If I understand you correctly, I
can enable devfs, and not have the problem I described if I just turn off
that kernel flag?

Thanks for your help...
--steve--