sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] reiserfs and noatime

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] reiserfs and noatime
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:11:56 +1200

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:38:33AM -0700, Seth Woolley wrote:
> notail is more speedy, but uses more space.
> noatime gets a little performance benefit, but by default, I think we
> should enable atime or ask during install?
Yeah, thats my thought also. Especially as it messes with some things.
I'm curious about notail being faster, I would have expected it to be a
little slower, as if a file is packed into the directory tree, then
there is less seeking to find it, and a greater chance of it being
cached, compared to it being with the normal files.

> I don't know about the confusing lilo bit.
That was from the mount(8) man page when I was looking it up:
notail By default, reiserfs stores small files and `file tails'
directly into its tree. This confuses some utilities such as
LILO(8). This option is used to disable packing of files into
the tree.

--
Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net> JabberID: <eythian AT jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0x776DB663 Fingerprint=DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D
B663
NB: New key! Available from http://kallisti.2y.net/~robin/newgpgkey