sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Getting started

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John Hunt <john.sm AT yoredale.uklinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Getting started
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:11:36 +0100

Hi

I decided to give SourceMage a try this past few days. Sorry to say I have
got
nowhere with it.

I have the 0.5.1 iso downloaded - thanks Jason.

First try.
On my RH8.0 PC I loop mounted the iso and followed the instructions at
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Install+using+chroot+and+rsync
But then what do I do? It says there "Enter the Install-Directiory and start
building" but it doesn't explain how to start building. After some reading of
man pages I guessed at something like
sorcery update
but that tries to download sources, and I don't yet have any networking set
up. (I need to access the Internet over a dialup connection running on this
PC from within the chroot environment.) Neither have I defined my processor
architecture. And does sorcery recompile the kernel?
btw the RH8 kernel apparently does not support devfs - does this matter?
( mount -n -t devfs devfs /dev fails)

2nd Try. To get an answer to some of the problems I decided to burn a CD and
use it to boot an old networked K6-200 PC, to experiment with. (This has
Win95 on hda and hdb is mostly not partitioned as yet. It already has grub
installed to make it potentially multi-boot.)
This failed. The PC reboots every time after a couple of rows of Initrd dots.

So, what do I do now? My preferred solution is to get the chroot option
working on my main PC so that I can download and rebuild without upsetting
the PCs normal operation - it acts as file server and internet gateway for
the rest of the PCs in this houshold. (My daughter gets very cross if she
can't get on MSN!)

Thanks
John Hunt
Stokesley, N Yorks, UK