sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: Sorcery Fall back mirror needs patchting!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: Sorcery Fall back mirror needs patchting!
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:28:27 -0700 (PDT)

I've got 640kbit upload here practically not being used.

you can set it to fallback to "http://smgl.positivism.org";

as I have all the sources. When ibiblio gets back up online, it would be
good to switch it back. I'm not sure how much bandwidth the fallback
actually takes for all our users, but at least it is something. I can't
remember who brought it up but I'm soon thinking bittorrent or even
multiple mirror support for fallback and source_url integrated into
sorcery may be cool features to add in the near future.

Hopefully my recent attempts (some successful) to fix the bad urls in the
grimoire have been fruitful. Also, when you make that change, please
change the default SOURCEFORGE_URL to unc instead of belnet. It's the
most up-to-date and will take quite a load off of our fallback. More
up-to-date than switch is, though switch is my second choice.

Not only that, but belnet's recently been totally borked, and everything
requested there totally fails. (I don't want to take _all_ sourceforge
traffic once belnet fails for every source.)

Who knows, if the fallback isn't really a load on me, you can probably
keep it on me, as it would give me the ability to find out what urls are
in fact broken very quickly.

Long-term, I hope to see bittorrent an option, as I believe our setup is
almost exactly the architecture it was designed for. ;)

Anybody with mass badwidth, like Glenn is free to copy my existing setup
and when that goes online, we can switch it to them.

I do have every file (none missing, generally, though often I'm 24 hours
behind getting the new ones summoned.

Here's a hack: have sorcery in /etc/local/config pick a random mirror when
sourced.

==>
FURLNUM=3
FALLBACK_URL_MIRROR[0]=http://smgl.positivsm.org
FALLBACK_URL_MIRROR[1]=ftp://thefrayedknot.armory.com
FALLBACK_URL_MIRROR[2]=Glenn's mirror
FALLBACK_URL=${FALLBACK_URL_MIRROR[$((${RANDOM} * ${FURLNUM} / 32768))]}
<==

Not as fault-tolerant as bittorrent, but good enough for the time being.

Seth

(for those listening in, these variables we are talking about are in
/etc/sorcery/config and are overridden in /etc/sorcery/local/config, the
proposal is to change the defaults in /etc/sorcery/config)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Eric Schabell wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> I propose another url is used for FALLBACK_URL, I thought either Seth or
> Eric
> were mirroring all the grimoires right? Ibiblio is not really in a big hurry
> to fix the problem so let's see if we can't get the fallback working asap.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> --
> /*
> * Eric D. Schabell M.Sc.
> * Project Lead Source Mage GNU/Linux
> *
> * SourceMage: http://www.sourcemage.org
> * Shopping: http://www.cafeshops.com/sourcemage
> * irc.freenode.net (#sourcemage)
> * nick -> erics
> */

- --
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at tautology.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id 7BEACC7D = 2978 0BD1 BA48 B671 C1EB 93F7 EDF4 3CDF 7BEA CC7D
Full Key at seth.tautology.org and pgp.mit.edu. info: www.gnupg.org