sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How safe are we???

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: doubletwist AT spack.nu
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How safe are we???
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:57:04 -0500 (CDT)

I still find it disturbing that so much of sorcery runs as root.
Is there any reason that it can't all run as a "sorcery" user, which only
has access to what it needs [/var/spool/sorcery, /usr/src,
/var/lib/sorcery etc..]?
Perhaps make sudo a required spell, then for casting, when the spell needs
to do something as root, it can run sudo. [sudo make install]

This would at least narrow down to one step the possibility of hosing the
entire system, and sudo could be made to not require a password from the
sorcery user, so it won't be any less convenient.

Of course as mentioned, signing of sorcery, grimoire or whatever would
also be a good step...

DT