sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Interesting read for our distro developers...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: eschabell AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Interesting read for our distro developers...
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 18:51:06 -0400

I've scanned through this and find it quite immature for such a serious subject. Point #1 about static linking is plain stupid. According to it even if I use my own library in my own five front-end modules, I'll link it statically five times? And If I have gazillion pieces linked against OpenSSL 0.9.7a, then 0.9.7b comes out and fixes a "very important bug", I have to *rebuild everything* because I want to be secure?! Or I'd be required to link into Apache all three hundred (OK, maybe it's more like thirty) modules I'm using? I will never buy that. Dynamic linking is not evil, but one has to know how to deal with it.
Point #4 doesn't deal with installations directly, and looks more like a personal complaint of a person who has been burnt with upgrade issues, but not too hard. I wish "firewall-incpmpatible blah-blah" resolved all upgrade problems :-(...
FWIW, I didn't enjoy it :-)

Sergey.

Eric Schabell wrote:

I don't normally put up links for discussion, but this is something like "food
for thought"... might just stimulate a good idea in our team? Who knows...
enjoy the read though:

http://www.linuxworld.com/go.cgi?id=742312