sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /var/tmp

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Wyatt Draggoo" <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
  • To: dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net
  • Cc: phma AT webjockey.net
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /var/tmp
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:32:42 -0700 (PDT)

I've used /var/tmp several times at work for init scripts that happen in
stages. Do the first part, and create a file in /var/tmp. Next reboot, do
the second part, create a second file in /var/tmp. Final boot, do the last
part and remove the files I've put in /var/tmp. Happens during install and
applications loads on new hardware, and some things can't happen before
certain software gets installed, somethings have to happen before other
software gets installed, etc.

If it's temporary for a single boot, I use /tmp. If it's temporary across
multiple boots, I use /var/tmp.

Wyatt

> Perhaps we should just say no to silly things like programs that want
> temporary files in public directories that aren't temporary files...
>
> (It's a symlink for me too)
>
> On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 19:38, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.15.html
> >
> > "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
> temporary
> > files or directories that are preserved between system reboots.
> Therefore,
> > data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than data in /tmp."
> >
> > /var/tmp is (at least on my laptop) a symlink to /tmp, which disappears
> on
> > shutdown. It shouldn't. Do we have tmpwatch or something similar?
> >
> > phma

Wyatt Draggoo