sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Upgrade path?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Adam Clark <adamsgl AT dhbit.ca>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Julian v.Bock" <julian AT openit.de>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Upgrade path?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:40:13 -0800

Hi all,

We seem to have a problem with our upgrade path if your glibc and gcc are
too old (I wonder how well the stable grimoire is going to handle this). If
our glibc is 2.2.5 and gcc is 3.1, we run into a chicken/egg problem.

In this scenario, glibc won't update because gcc is too old. gcc's compile
craps out with the libintl_gettext issues. binutils won't update cleanly
until gettext/glibc are recompiled.

What does one do in this case if they don't have the possibility of doing
builds on another system and moving the builds over?

--
Adam Clark, Chat Section Maintainer, ISO Forger
Grimoire Gurus Cardholding Member