sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] timeout on net-tools and init.d dialogs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] timeout on net-tools and init.d dialogs
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:19:50 -0800 (PST)

nealbirch said:
> Casey Harkins wrote:
>> I recently installed a new machine, did a 'system-update', cast a few
>> spells, then started a 'sorcery rebuild'. Came back the next day to
>> find that nothing had rebuilt because the init.d spell was waiting for
>> input on which scripts should be updated.
>>
>> Would it be reasonable to assume some sort of defaults for these
>> dialogs and use the --timeout option to dialog to prevent sorcery from
>> blocking?
>
> Yes it would. I will get on it this week. Sorry for the delay.
>
> The issue is, is it always a good idea to default one way or the other
> all the time? Should the script default to towards "do nothing" or
> "update" and when? Does it matter?
>
> Neal

Well, the apparent "safe" option would be to do nothing, but then again,
not having the updated scripts may break something (though not very
likely), so I say go with the "do nothing by default" approach, and if
this causes problems, we can work that out.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214