sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] PCMCIA Net card problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Joaqu�n Bernal <jbernal AT baara.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] PCMCIA Net card problem
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:59:19 +0100

Hi! I need help from the users more advanced than me in this list
(that is, all of you). I hope I'm not asking for help in the wrong
place.

Please, excuse the length of this message, as I'm taking the chance to
present myself to the list in addition to ask for your help.

I'm new to Linux, but I've installed Sourcemage without problem. I'm
using "cast" to get things as I'm needing them, so my system is nice and
clean,
and what's best, I'm learning how everything works. I've tried Debian,
RH, Mandrake, etc. in the past two days, but all I got was a bloated system
and
lots of confusion. I even tried Gentoo, but it needs a huge amount of
compiling time for having a working system, even from a stage3
tarball. More important than this, I felt some kind of empathy with
the Sourcemage community when I visited your website, so I tried and
I'm casting spells like mad now.

I'm really impressed with Linux. For the first time, I'm enjoying it.
I discovered projects like Mosix, distributed compilation using
distcc, that myriad of compilers and languages I've got at my
fingertips, the great concept of using several small tools to
acomplish any task, etc. So, as you can see and I'm convinced now.

The PC I'm talking about is a HP Omnibook XE3 (my main PC is a Athlon
XP +1800/1Gb RAM/160Gb HD [2*80Gb in RAID], so I'll move it to Linux
real soon).

Since this morning, everytime I boot the laptop all works fine except
my net card. It has been working ok during installation and first day,
but now it does not. I'm trying to remember what I installed just
before it broke, but I did just put simple console apps (links, wget,
lftp, ccache, screen...) since the installation.

I've recompiled the kernel (2.4.19) with no luck. I downloaded 2.4.20
and compiled it (mostly for the feeling of first upgrading, since I
had to compile the kernel anyway), and still no luck. I've tried
compiling the involved bits as modules and into the kernel. The
curious part is that when I boot using a rescue disk (see below), I
can use the net card with no problem, so a problem with the card
itself is discarded.

(boot from rescue disk)
insmod pcmcia_core
insmod i82365
insmod ds
cardmgr -f
ifconfig eth0 ... (etc).
route add -net ... (etc).
nano /etc/resolv.conf
(Everything working OK now)

Please, can you help me? I'm stuck, as I cannot cast any spell to
continue building my system.

Thanks in advance and, please, excuse my english (I'm a spanish guy
who learned english mostly in the net and reading manuals :)

----
Nogoff

"Don't panic!" (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)