sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 compile problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, morwin AT cfl.rr.com
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 compile problems
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:29:49 -0500

I had xfree86 failing to build because of kernel 2.4.20-pre5. Built a new kernel (2.4.20-pre11 I think), the problem was gone. That was before ncurses upgrade.

John T Copeland wrote:

Marcus,
I get the same error with xfree86. I have tried everything I can think of to fix but unsuccessful so far. Reduced optimazation levels. Tried the ncurses fix outlined by Julian:
If you have updated ncurses to version 5.3 after the latest gcc build,
you might get build errors when trying to compile spells which use
ncurses.

The problem is that gcc tries to fix headers it finds on the system
which might cause in some way trouble and stores them in a private
directory. This include directory is used before /usr/include, and
ncurses.h has (of course) not been updated in this directory.

To make things work again remove
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/*/3.2/include/ncurses.h

The /usr/include/ncurses.h header will be used afterwards but this
should not be a problem in this case. If you get strange compilation
errors in ncurses.h, rebuild gcc.
----------------------------------
Downgraded to to ncurses 5.2
ReCast gcc
Did another cast system-update after the rebuild
My system is stable-sorcery 8.2.0?, devel-grimoire. All spells udpated and rebuilt(except xfree and kde of course). I had no real problems converting to gcc3.2/glibc2.3.1 after I followed the instructions given in the discuss-lists. All spells compiled ok except xfree. I had a little problem with networking scripts not containing the mount.sh links, but I installed the links manually. My system is bootable and no probems except the xfree compile which is maybe a bug? since at least 1 other, Marcus Martin has it.
Has anyone else ran into this problem? Can anyone offer a solution?
I had to revert to Win2K to send this message! Damn!
Thanks,
JohnC

Get free mailbox 20 Mb at http://www.hotbox.ru