sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Network Configuration Tool

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Network Configuration Tool
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 05:38:31 -0500

Casey Harkins wrote:

I've made your changes to save_device() on my end as well. I went back and
forth between using echo and cat, settled on echo because I could keep
proper indentation, but I agree that cat is probably cleaner.

I like cat, once I figured it out.

Did you still have problems saving a file as a non-root user after you
changed save_device() to use cat? It works fine on my end, so I'm curious
as to what might be broken. Did you have write permissions on NETDEVDIR as
your non-root user? I think I'll put a check for this in, though it
probably won't matter since it is intended to be run as root.

nope, NETDEVDIR was /etc/sysconfig/network, but I didn't even get an error like "permission denied", either. Doesn't it invoke "su" to get root access, or did I read that wrong?

I think I'll also add some special handling if someone tries to remove the
loopback device, just a more informative confirmation dialog telling the
user what the loopback device is and why they might not want to remove it.
Also, if someone adds a device named lo, I'll have it default to the
standard loopback settings.

There is a certain point at which idiot proofing gets compulsive, I think. If someone is determined to screw things up, you can only do so much.

I'm not sure where to add the spell, if you are going to have net-tools
call it to configure network devices if none exist, then it should
probably go in net-tools (obviously).

I was thinking net-tools could put in /usr/bin or someplace similar and leaving the net-tools as it is for installation purposes, maybe add a note that the new script is available and where it's at?

Once we move to the new installer, I'll probably modify this script to
work as a cauldron module as well.

THAT is a good idea, too. Net-tools alone would work, but this might be more flexable.

Damn, I gotta look at the installer again. add it to the list, neal...

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"