sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiler and kernel versions?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiler and kernel versions?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 02:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 00:03, Eric Sandall wrote:
>> Mine compiled fine. The only time it would was if I tried using XFS.
>> Is this what you did? If not, do you remember the error?
>
> Signal 11 at random times, and if it did succeed, the kernel was
> unstable - it would panic for no obvious reason. The laptop now has Red
> Hat on it, and it compiled a kernel but I didn't install it right.
>
>> The latest compiler is gcc3.1 (IIRC) and linux-2.4.18 (also IIRC) on
>> the 0701 ISO from Adam.
>
> I'll try it, but I think I'll keep Red Hat on it as a backup. Should the
> two distros have separate /boot partitions or can they be shared?
>
> phma

You should probably use separate /boot partitions. You _could_ use the
same /boot, but then one distro might (very unlikely, but there is a
chance) overwrite a working kernel with one that may not work. It's
_almost_ safe to do so, since you're using SMGL and RH (which use
different naming conventions, IIRC), but it's safer to not share /boot.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux