sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Celeron Processors.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Celeron Processors.
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:43:08 -0500 (CDT)

Deschutes and Mendocino core -> Pentium II
Coppermine core (aka Celeron II) -> Pentium III

>From http://www.hyperformance-pc.com/Intel_info.htm:

The Celeron has undergone many changes since it first arrived.

The first core was the Deschutes core and had no L2 cache. It turned out
to be pretty much a dud for performance. It only came in a SEP form in
speeds of 266 and 300Mhz.

The second core version was the Mendocino core and had 128k of L2 cache.
It came in both the SEP and PPGA forms. This turned out to be an awesome
CPU for overclocking. The Celeron 300A was the first CPU that could easily
be overclocked using a 100Mhz FSB which gave a nice speed of 450Mhz. It
came in 2 steppings, the later being even better than the first (as is
usually the case!). The second stepping was used in CPU's all the way up
to 533Mhz and was found to be overclockable to about 580-600Mhz. The
Celeron 366 became the next hot overclocker with a multiplier of 5.5, it
was almost sure thing to hit 550Mhz. I have 2 Celeron 366's that will run
at 575Mhz and another Celeron 366 running at 595Mhz.

The third and probably not the last Celeron core version uses the
Coppermine core and is only available in an FC-PGA form. FC-PGA or
'Flip-Chip' is mostly known as a name for the Pentium III but it is used
for the Celeron also. Also known as the Celeron II, these CPU's can hit
speeds of 850Mhz and higher. They do have a smaller L2 cache than the
PIII, 128k cache, which does drop the performance a bit below an equal
clock speed PIII. They are quite a bit cheaper than the PIII and also seem
to be a little more overclockable. So for a low budget PC, this is harrrrd
to beat. They are available in two different core steppings, cB0 and cC0.
A quick way to tell between a cB0 and cC0 core Celeron is by the default
core voltage. A cB0 uses 1.50v and a cC0 uses 1.70v. I have a Celeron 566
which I ran at 900Mhz for about 6 months until I added a Peltier setup and
am now running it at 990Mhz.

Also gives a link to Intel's Celeron info:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/