sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?
  • Date: 27 Sep 2002 13:44:42 -0400

Hello

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 13:26, Nick Jennings wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:17:03PM +0100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> Hi Mark,
>

> > I now have a Sourcemage box back in action and am taking a serious
> > look at automatic hardware configuration. This is just a quick heads
> > up message in case anyone else has done any work on this that I don't
> > know about.
>
> Glad to see hardware detection is getting some attention! :)
> I don't know of anyone else working on it.
>

> > After playing for a while, I realised that there is a bit of a chicken
> > and egg situation - so I've installed from the 20020701 ISO and am
> > going to try to bolt hardware detection on top and then work back to
> > an ISO that can do it.
> >
> > First impressions on various options are:
> >
> > Knoppix: relies on patched utils - I want to avoid patches if
> > possible.
> >
> > BadPenguin: main routines are libs for their custom installer. Again
> > not ideal.
> >
> > Discover: Outputs XML which will need parsing. Otherwise looks like a
> > contender. So far this looks the most promising to me.
>
> Including an XML parser in the install could create difficulties.
> Seems like overkill...

Luckily, a full parser shouldn't be necessary. One that cheats would be
enough.

> > SystemConfigurator: Another one worth investigating
> >
> > Others (kudzu etc): Not looked at in any depth
>
> Why haven't you taken a look at kudzu? It seems to be a pretty
> reliable implementation...

kudzu is RedHat and has a lot of redhat specific things built in. It
would require patching the code. The src is another problem. A month or
two ago I went in search of the kudzu source code and couldn't find it.
It may be hiding in some .src.rpm though.