sm-announce - [SM-Announce] Developer Meeting Notes from 2005-01-22

sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Announce] Developer Meeting Notes from 2005-01-22
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:33:29 -0800

Hi all,

Here is a review of what we talked about at the developer meeting this
weekend[0]:

Sorcery (yeah, he's always first ;))
The Sorcery Team is asking for an extension to July 2005 for all of our
features that we've requested to be put in and tested. The current target of
April 2005 does not give us enough time to be ready. The (hopefully) next
stable release (1.12) will have about half of the wanted features/fixes for
1.0
in it and the first test releases for 1.12 will be coming out in about a
month.
The main items for 1.12 and 1.13 will be:
* cross grimoire dependencies
* running spell scripts outside of cast (delve)
* improved resurrect support (mainly for the ISO)
* grimoire tablet support
* GPG authentication for spells and Sorcery
* improved handling of the UPDATED field in spells
Build_depends has been removed from the list of features needed for 1.0 as
it's quite an undertaking and would destabalize the current Sorcery layout.

Grimoire Team
The grimoire team also would like to extend the deadline and that July 2005
works for them. Most of the grimoire's list of 1.0 items should be done on
time
with the exception of the bug count; we are changing this from 50 bugs open to
no more than 100 bugs open (though if we can get less I wont' yell at you ;)).
API 2 conversion and spell renaming to lower-case should all be done on time,
but the duplicate dependencies has been taken off the 1.0 list as it's not as
important as the rest, which should be focused on. I would like the spell
renaming to be first on the list, but API 2 and the bugs are also important.
Conversion to config_query and spell_ok is still in progress.
If general and section gurus could take the time to look at bugs/spells in
unmaintained sections it would help out and if anyone would like to volunteer
for a section guruship (or a general guruship if you're not already) Arwed is
accepting applications.
The New Spells bug list is not counted towards the open bug limit for 1.0,
though "fixing" those bugs would help expand our grimoire and give feedback to
those who're helping expand it.
There is a new Linux kernel spell called linux-new in the test grimoire that
could use testing. Please forward all feedback to Dave...I mean Bugzilla.

ISO Team
The main point for the ISO Team is to decide which scripts we're going to
use
for ISO generation. We have the scripts which Benoit has been using/modifying
to create quite a few of our ISOs and Karsten's reworking of these scripts.
There has been a thread started on SM-Discuss to work out which scripts, or
combination of scripts, to use. There has been talk of using Sorcery's
install_root to build better scripts as well as preferring a chrooted
environment to run the scripts in.
Our current ISO targets for 1.0 are:
* x86 2.4
* x86 2.6 non-NPTL
* x86 2.6 NPTL (optional)
* ppc 2.6 non-NPTL
* ppc 2.6 NPTL (optional)
* x86_64 2.6 NPTL (can we have non-NPTL?) (work in progress, optional)
We could use some reports on how the testing went with Benoit's and
Karsten's
ISOs (though Karsten's already has some reports that need to be fixed and new
test images out). It was requested to have an ISO Testing Team, but I decided
it would be best to have them join the ISO Team or do the testing on their
own,
at least for now.
evms has been added to the latest ISOs (-test2 ISOs) to handle RAID/LVM
setups, but there are some problems with it, so anyone with knowledge of
setting up RAID/LVM with EVMS should pipe up in #sourcemage-cauldron. SquashFS
has been used to reduce the size of the ISO and Crypo Loop has been requested
to be added (for installing machines with encrypted filesystems).
Automatic hardware detection is in the works, but no news on it's progress.
BootX has been requested to be added to PPC ISOs so that Old-World
Macintosh's
can be made to boot our ISOs (worked on the WSU LUG's Macintosh Power G3 ;)).
Various HOW-TOs for ISO generation are available at:
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=ISO+generation+guide
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Yet+Another+ISO+making+Guide
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=New+ISO+generation+scripts
*
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Installation+ISO+Creation+Outline

Information on the ISO progress is available at:
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=ISO+Roadmap
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=BenoitPAPILLAULTWork
* http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=ISO+Wishlist

Web Team
Adam Clark is looking for feedback on what people want in a site (not just a
list of sites you like ;)). We are certain we want a CMS (perhaps Drupal), but
Adam is going to look at what's available and see what will fit our needs
(from
his survey on sm-discuss).
Once the site is up Adam will look into distributing the load as well as
database backups as well as continuing the sync (mostly via rsync) with
Ibiblio.
To further our archiving of mailing lists and add NNTP support we are
looking
into subscribing our lists to to http://gmane.org.
Our wiki (or some implementation like it) will use Access Control Lists to
keep down on the spam and unwanted modifications.

If I missed anything, feel free to chime in.

(Please respond only to sm-discuss, sm-announce is read-only ;)).

-sandalle

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Meeting+log+2005-01-22

  • [SM-Announce] Developer Meeting Notes from 2005-01-22, Eric Sandall, 01/25/2005