sm-admin - [SM-Admin] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Admin] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:20:01 -0800

Hey all!

Sorry for being late, I either set the alarm wrong or slept through it for an
hour... ;)

Here is a quick review of what we discussed, for all the glory check out:
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Meeting+log+2004-03-07

This e-mail is overlong, so bear with me. ;)

Cauldron Lead: Hamish Greig
Cauldron Lead, Assistant: Wolfgang Scheicher
Grimoire Lead: Arwed von Merkatz
Grimoire Lead, Assistant: Robert Helgesson
Porting Lead: Andrew Stitt
Project Lead: Eric Sandall
Quality Assurance Lead: Andrew Stitt
Security Lead: Seth Woolley
Sorcery Lead: Eric Schabell
Tome Lead: Jason Flatt

We decided that we'd keep the current Team Lead layout as is (myself and Arwed
being put into their Leads) and that next time we would have a vote as follows
(this format is only for voting in Leads, not general voting):

The Project Lead (PL) sends an e-mail to each developer[0] and the sm-discuss
mailing list with the proposed vote and any pertinent information and a
duration of 72 hours from whence the e-mail is sent until the last will be
accepted. The developers respond /only/ to the PL with their vote (and a
reason, if they want), whom will then respond with a confirmation that he/she
received the vote. At the end of the vote (72 hours) the PL will tally the
votes and post the result. In order to "win", the nominated person must
receive
a simple majority (51%) of all registered develer's votes (not just the ones
who voted), that way our leaders will all have been voted in by a majority. If
this is not met, then the vote failed and we need to try again, perhaps with
less choices (remove the lowest scoring one) or another method.

Sorcery Lead is looking for someone to take over at the end of the month due
time constraints. Anyone interested please contact me and/or the current
Sorcery Lead and we'll talk about it.

The Grimoire Team is also looking for a dedicated maintainer for the stable
grimoire. We would like stable to be kept up-to-date, but not broken. ;)
Currently there are massive updates to stable at sporadic intervals. We are
also looking for someone to maintain the z-rejected grimoire, as our two
current gurus have time contstraints and have requested assistance. There are
also several unmaintained sections for any interested in helping out and
learning more about writing packages.

The following Leads are in need of assistants: Porting, Project, Quality
Assurance, Security, Sorcery, and Tome.

We decided to add a listing of General Gurus to the Organization Chart (OC)
and
to keep the list more up-to-date[1].

Team leads are encouraged to hold a meeting (time/day to be decided by said
Lead) every week with their team (doesn't have to be long) for updates and
general discussion in #sourcemage-<team> (up for debate). The Team Leads
themselves will hold a meeting (anyone may come, but this is for Lead
discussion) bi-weekly at a to-be-determined time by all of the Leads in
#smgl-admin. The general developer meetings will still be held every other
month at the same time and same place for general discussion. This is to
encourage more communication between the teams and it is strongly encouraged
that members of the teams show up to their meetings. These smaller meetings
are
geared towards keeping the time short during meetings and keeping the teams
up-to-speed on what the others are doing so that we can work in a more
concerted effort.

A new QA Team (Quality Assurance) will be formed, headed by Andrew Stitt,
who's
primary objective is Prometheus, but will expand to others.

Arwed will be cleaning up the Guru Handbook and wiki with updated information
for Grimoire Gurus, along with a standard method for deprecating/renaming
spells.

New versioning on the ISOs proposed to make more sense. Each monthly ISO will
use the date created as the version (e.g. "20030407") and ISOs which meet a
certain feature list will be given the standard version (e.g. "1.0").

"xfree86" will be updated to XFree86 4.4 in devel and test grimoires, with the
old 4.3 "xfree86" being renamed to "xfree86-4.3". We felt that we do not
conflict with the license (it's BSD-style and we don't distribute any X code)
so there's no reason for us to not use the latest X. Other alternatives are
being looked at (fresco, cosmoe, Y, etc.), but they do not offer the feature
set and compatibility that X does.

New roadmaps will use a list of features as an indicater of when to release
and
not solid dates, as we tend to not make them (volunteers only have so much
time). We should still have some form of a timeline to encourage progress, but
how we are to do that is yet to be decided.

Sorcery 1.9 is going to be released after the "real" bugs (not feature
requests/enhancements) in devel Sorcery are fixed.

I'd like to thank everyone for all their hard work this last year and to those
who showed up to the meeting (even if late, again, sorry ;(). Thanks to Eric
Schabell for taking us through some hard times and keeping us together.

Comments, questions, flames? Please use sm-discuss. ;)

-sandalle

[0] A developer is one who actively[1] works on SMGL, not just one whom has
Perforce/Subversion/etc. access (since most of the Tome Team wouldn't need it
anyways).
[1] The PL decides who is active and who not; this is done best by keeping the
Organization Chart[2] up-to-date.
[2] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=The+Source+Mage+Developers ,
which
I will be pruning this week. After this week, if you see an error on it, let
me
know.

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61

  • [SM-Admin] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07, Eric Sandall, 03/07/2004