sm-admin - Re: [SM-Admin] ISO filename convention

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Admin] ISO filename convention
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:00:00 -0800

On Friday 02 January 2004 06:29 am, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Hamish Greig a écrit :
> >>- ISO LOCATION:
> >>---------------
> >>
> >>In order for people to download the correct version, annoucement message
> >> should contain a full http link to the .iso.bz2 file. "latest" file
> >>are forbidden.
> >>
> >>So, those link must be maintained over time, that's why moving file to
> >>either "older-i386-versions" or "older-ppc-versions" should NOT occur.
> >
> > I *strongly* disagree. WE are talking about 130+ MB files, if we did as
> > you suggested, within a short periiod of time (sixmonths - a year ) we
> > would have hundreds of files in that top dir, most of them quite large in
> > size (130MB+). Several solutions to this follow, But I am strongly
> > against having everything bundled into a single dir, no matter what
> > reason.
>
> What is the problem with having hundreds of file in a directory? For
> other software, most recent version are kept in the same directory.

My personal opinion on this is that a directory with lots of files is messy,
it's hard to find what you're looking for, and it's prone to download errors
by selecting the wrong file. But that's just me. :^)

> > If we are going to spend time
> > discussing minor issues like filenames and locations, we should also (and
> > more importantly) be discussing what the ISO/Cauldron team needs to get
> > back onto track and meet it's deadlines and what help it needs in dealing
> > with the open bugs it has.
>
> I thought that was minor issues too... but it seems that everyone is
> doing its own method. That's why I asked those questions.
>
> I'd like to have web stats on http://download.sourcemage.org/ to see how
> much 404 errors gets generated when files are moved. That would bring
> some objective datas into the discussion.
>
> Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO Guru

Since Dec. 1, 2003, there were about 4% 404 errors. A large number of them
(half?) appear to be from spiders or bots of some kind, but I could be
mistaken on that. As soon as I can figure out a way to reliably access the
log files and figure out the best software to display the stats with, I will
do so. However, my current priority is the securing of the Wiki, which
involves installing a CMS or CMS-like system. That is taking me longer than
I thought it would, but once it is in place, I will have download stats
available, as much as our host allows.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)