sm-admin - Re: [SM-Admin] ISO filename convention

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Admin] ISO filename convention
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:26:57 +1100

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:57, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> - ISO FILENAME:
> ---------------
>
> I think we should follow the convention smgl-0.8.0-i386.iso.bz2,
> smgl-0.8.0-i386.iso.bz2.md5sum and smgl-0.8.0-i386.iso.md5sum.
>
> The file ending with ".iso.bz2" is a bz2 archive of the ".iso" file to
> save some disk space.
>
> The file ending with ".iso.bz2.md5sum" should contain the output of
> md5sum on the .iso.bz2 file.
>
> The file ending with ".iso.md5sum" is the output of md5sum run on the
> original ".iso" file.
>
> The "-0.8.0" part should be the version number. "-pre#" should not be
> used. It must be 0.8.0 and next 0.8.1, 0.8.2 ... and next 0.9.0, 0.9.1
> and so on.
>
> The "-i386" is the architecture. There should be soon a "-ppc" version.

all common sense.
Except that you were the person started using "-pre#", if you need to release
ISO's for bugtesting before the main 0.X.0 release then they have to be
marked "-pre" or "-experimental" or "-devel". Using the plain file
STABLE_IS_BLA and DEVEL_IS_BLA is a good way around this if you don't wish
"-pre#" or "bla" added into the filename anymore.

> - ISO LOCATION:
> ---------------
>
> In order for people to download the correct version, annoucement message
>   should contain a full http link to the .iso.bz2 file. "latest" file
> are forbidden.
>
> So, those link must be maintained over time, that's why moving file to
> either "older-i386-versions" or "older-ppc-versions" should NOT occur.

I *strongly* disagree. WE are talking about 130+ MB files, if we did as you
suggested, within a short periiod of time (sixmonths - a year ) we would have
hundreds of files in that top dir, most of them quite large in size (130MB+).
Several solutions to this follow, But I am strongly against having everything
bundled into a single dir, no matter what reason.

1) Only the current ISO should be in the top level dir. Older iso's should be
in the older-"arch" dir. Announcements should link to the top level dir only,
stating latest can be found from that folder, but it will change with each
new release, so explicitly linking to a file name is not supported. A plain
file stating that could also be used.
2) Another method would be to have each release in a seperate folder. 0.8.0,
0.9.0 etc and linking to the actual ISO within that folder. That folder need
never change, the next release will go into it's own folder and can have it's
"static" link too. The top level dir could have a simple LATEST_IS_bla file
or even a link into that release's dir.

Lastly, I am more concerned about deadlines and bugs than ISO names and
locations. I don't think it matters much what you call something if it is
always late and the bugs that are filed against it's previous versions are
not addressed (or even commented on). If we are going to spend time
discussing minor issues like filenames and locations, we should also (and
more importantly) be discussing what the ISO/Cauldron team needs to get back
onto track and meet it's deadlines and what help it needs in dealing with the
open bugs it has.
I always believed the roadmaps/deadlines were attainable. No-one has
publicly
stated the current release roadmap is unrealistic or unattainable, but one
ISO release has been cancelled (and others are late).
Do we need to revisit the Roadmap ?
Are the ISO and Cauldron teams not working together properly ?
Am I wrong in thinking ISO and Cauldron teams are the left and right hand of
the same body ?
Are unfinished enhancements slowing down the releases ?
Are less changes in between each release needed, are the team goals
unrealistic ?
Is the lack of progress on the hardware detection holding up the ISO building
process ?

What is really needed from the guru's maintaining the grimoires so that ISO's
are on time and have all the features we as spellwriters/sysadmins/users
need ?

Hamish