sm-admin - [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader Update Report - October 2003

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: "Eric D. Schabell M.Sc." <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader Update Report - October 2003
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:19:44 +0200

Howdy all!

I have decided to cross post this to sm-discuss along with our usual sm-admin
as we are approaching the last steps to 1.0 and I would like user attention
to our progress.

Been awhile since my last PL report, but think that we have done allot since
then and wanted to pass along a few of the more important developments as we
approach 1.0 here at the end of the year.

The various things mentioned here will be posted in no special order of
importance:

* Dufflebunk has been busy with nice documentation tools, might want to take
look at this: http://dufflebunk.homeip.net/~dufflebunk/sorcerer/docs

* For those that missed it, distrowatch.com posted a nice Source Mage review,
search their site for it.

* Release 0.7 "Flare" is out the door, reactions are good so far (climbed
quite high so far on the distrowatch list, for what that is worth, 20th
spot).

* Watch for the next release of Sorcery, lots of fixes coming your way;
refactored locking, gaze versions (my favorite), scribbler, etc...

* Benoit is busy working with a French language journal that writes on Linux
to have an article written about Source Mage and include an ISO for the buyer
(more when that happens).

* Unless you have been in the dog house the last few months, your systems are
now running on the devfs under /dev and you have an amazing new init system
based on simpleinit (check out the Wiki for conversions).

* Source Mage development team has voted to freeze all new feature requests
from now thru to 1.0 release. This means no submitted changes/patches for new
features will be applied with a date later than 28 September 2003. This is to
focus on bugs and refining the distro up to 1.0.

* The Roadmap has been updated for releases up to 1.0 so now releases are 0.8
in Nov, 0.9 in Jan 2004, 1.0 in Feb 2004.

* Web Team has been renamed/merged into the Tome Team.

* Cauldron Team is busy trying to refine the ISO, and most importantly to
'spellify' the ISO process.

Anyone have anything to add, feel free to respond on sm-discuss or personally
to me. Thanks again to all that have worked so hard the last weeks to put out
v0.7! Let's enjoy the ride to v0.8 and beyond, shall we? ;-)

- --
/*
* Eric D. Schabell M.Sc.
* Project Lead Source Mage GNU/Linux
*
* SourceMage: http://www.sourcemage.org
* Shopping: http://www.cafeshops.com/sourcemage
* irc.freenode.net (#sourcemage)
* nick -> erics
*/

  • [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader Update Report - October 2003, Eric D. Schabell M.Sc., 10/08/2003