sm-admin - [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Lead Progress Report - (Update Feb 2003)

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Admin <sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Lead Progress Report - (Update Feb 2003)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:41:09 +0100

Howdy all!

Just wanted to bring you all the latest news as we continue to move
towards our first official 0.5 release. I hope this keeps you all up to
date on the various aspects we have within the Source Mage GNU/Linux
Project. Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

We have a list of the various Team objectives on the following page:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=CurrentTeamObjectives

There have been alot of changes and additions to our various development
teams. The calls for developers last month have resulted in the
following:

New Tome Team (docs) Lead:
Matthew Shapiro nick->KallDrexx [kalldrexx AT programmer.net]

and two new team members:
Mandeep nick->d33p [d33p AT webace.com]
Daid Kowis nick->? [dkowis AT satx.rr.com]

New Sorcery Team Lead:
Nick Jennings has left the project, we will miss him and his CVS
repository. More on CVS later... but the new Team Lead is:
Chris Brien nick->zero_the_hero [christopher_brien AT hotmail.com]

New Security Team Lead:
Seth Woolley nick->swoolley [seth AT tautology.org]

and one new member:
Eric Sesterhenn nick->snakebyte [snakebyte AT gmx.de]

A few weeks ago the Sorcery Lead decided to part direction with us,
not because of conflicts but due to personal reasons. He was also
maintaining our CVS maintainer/hosting. This has been moved into
perforce for now, all sorcery developers were setup and development has
resumed.

A more permanent solution is being persued, with two possibilities on
the horizon. Both Subversion and CVS might be in the works, but at least
an interested sponser has offered us hosting. I hope to get us an SMGL
box attatched to a good connection in a university computer center...
I will be meeting with them on the 18th and report back then. In the mean
time, Sorcery 0.9.3 was released on the 4th of Feb.

The Tome Team has updated our entire Wiki (a little here, a little
there in the way of cleanup) and produced an updated install guide:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Install+from+an+ISO

The Security Team has been really busy with MD5 checks and updating all
over the Grimoire, for a detailed account of their activities see:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Security+Log

A side note that everyone should not forget is the mailinglists sw will
be updated on 13th Feb, see news posting on our main site. No postings
will be lost, but queued, so just be patient and it will hit the lists
when it gets brought back up.

I will trying to work out a roadmap that will show our direction for
the next 6 months or so... from 0.5 version release, with links to the
various Team roadmaps if they exist and onwards to Source Mage GNU/Linux
1.0 targets... I will make an announcement when I post it to our site.

Finally, I hope I have not missed anyone and I would like to close by
thanking you all for the effort you continue to put out. Be that
development, bug hunting, reporting, or just helping out on
irc/mailinglists. Thanks alot!

--
/*
* Eric D. Schabell M.Sc.

  • [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Lead Progress Report - (Update Feb 2003), Eric Schabell, 02/10/2003