seranet - Re: [SN] Fwd: Fwd: Joel Salatin resigns from the NOSB (the USDA National Organic Standards Board)

seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network

  • From: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network <seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network <seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SN] Fwd: Fwd: Joel Salatin resigns from the NOSB (the USDA National Organic Standards Board)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:04:09 -0400

Eric is right. The real question is why did it take Joel (and so many
others) so long to realize that anything coming from the USDA is toxic to
the public interest and always has been. The answer is that, like many in
the organic movement, his libertarian ideology prevented him from seeing
the real nature of power in a society where concentrated private capital
controls government and bends all major institutions (markets, media, court
system, education, research institutions) into service of its interest.

Eventually the end of cheap oil, now bringing to a close an era of
extravagance and destruction unique in human history, will reduce
agricultural systems (and all other human activities) to the kind that can
operate on pure solar power, and that will collapse not only industrial
agriculture but also much of "organic" agriculture and its fetid offspring,
the NOSB.

And by pure solar power I do NOT mean large scale solar PV, wind electric,
or any other energy source that attempts to significantly replace current
energy consumption.

Good riddance to all that, and perhaps Gaia will breath a sigh of relief.

--
Karl North - Northland Sheep Dairy, Freetown, New York USA
http://karlnorth.com/