seranet - Re: [SN] new subscriber

seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor AT gmx.net>
  • To: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network <seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SN] new subscriber
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:07:56 +0100

Hi Roberto,

Nice to hear from you again. I'm glad you're doing well and still
hard at work, accomplishing valuable goals.

> I just subscribed. Thanks to Douglas Hinds for reminding me about seranet.

If my last post to sanet about the importance of community action
stimulated your interest, I'd like to mention that Marin County,
California provides a good example of how community participation
can channel regional development toward socially and ecologically
responsible growth.

<http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/CD/main/index.cfm>

I searched on "countywide plan and got this:
<http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/CD/Main/future-marin-website/index.cfm>

which contains:

Public Participation Process

A comprehensive public participation component is one of the most
important aspects of the Countywide Plan. This program is combing
several different techniques in order to reach out to the greatest
number of people and invite community conversation that will shape
the plan. This website is one of those tools for outreach along
with workshops, newsletters, and groups.

And this:

<http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/CD/main/fm/index.cfm>

The updated Marin Countywide Plan was adopted on November 6, 2007
by the Marin County Board of Supervisors. Although the existing
Countywide Plan has generally withstood the test of time, the
updated Countywide Plan has been updated to reflect the
overarching theme of planning sustainable communities.

Toward this end the Countywide Plan is one of the first local
general plans in the nation to address climate change issues and
use the ecological footprint to measure the amount of land and
water required to support the average local resident.

Similar to the preparation of the original Countywide Plan in
1973, this update has received considerable national and statewide
attention.

Furthermore, the updated Countywide Plan includes other innovative
features such as a series of indicators, benchmarks and targets
and addresses a variety of optional topics, for example, public
health, that are not required by law.

Of course, the fact that my brother Alex was involved didn't
overly influence my judgement.

> I work on sus ag issues in the Philippines. Currently I serve as president
> of
> the Philippine Permaculture Association and coordinator if SRI-Pilipinas (a
> consortium of groups promoting the system of rice intensification).

> Greetings,

> Roberto

Thanks for posting Roberto. I hope the rest of us take the time to
share our concerns and compare methods, too.

Douglas

  • [SN] new subscriber, Roberto Verzola, 11/30/2007
    • Re: [SN] new subscriber, Douglas Hinds, 11/30/2007