seranet - [SN] Fw: Comment from Pew Initiative on APHIS Notice of Intent

seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network

  • From: "Evon Kochey" <sydney151 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SN] Fw: Comment from Pew Initiative on APHIS Notice of Intent
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:35:35 -0500

COMMENT ON APHIS NOTICE OF INTENT
----- Original Message -----
From: Pew Administrator
To: Evon Kochey
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 1:12 PM

Michael Rodemeyer, executive director of the Pew Initiative on Food and
Biotechnology, issued the following comment in response to today's
announcement by the Animal Health Inspection Service (APHIS) at USDA
regarding their intent to examine how agricultural biotechnology is reviewed
by the agency.

"APHIS should be commended for taking the first steps needed to ensure that
the regulatory review process keeps pace with the application of genetic
engineering technology to agriculture. By proposing to conduct this review
in a transparent manner in which all interested parties can participate,
APHIS is taking an important step toward safeguarding public trust in the
regulatory system and helping build confidence in the environmental safety of
the products it approves."

For further comment, contact:

Kim Brooks

202-347-9044 ext. 230