seranet - Re: [SN] Check in

seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor AT gmx.net>
  • To: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network <seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SN] Check in
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:32:02 -0600

KCW> This is a test post and check in from Kathy Carter-White. Shall we
KCW> introduce ourselves?

Hi Kathy. You and I are the only ones on seranet to date.
Lemme get some content up before subscribing those that asked

Did you get a welcome statement or a moderators notice that someone
subscribed?

KCW> I'm Facilitator for the Cherokee Small Farm Project, a development
KCW> project of the Cherokee Nation which is "in" what you might think of as
KCW> Oklahoma.

You mean surrounded by.

KCW> Cherokees have been farming for 4,000 years. Since contact with
KCW> Europeans, our lifeways have been changing and blending. One of
KCW> my interests is in learning about (and testing hypotheses
KCW> about) the kind of farming that Cherokees used, as they
KCW> evolved to farmers of today. Some still farm simply, and there
KCW> is much emphasis on agroforestry, wild gathering, and
KCW> harmonious interrelationship with "unmanaged" ecosystems. This
KCW> intrigues me. Also, I manage a small seed bank for the Cherokee
KCW> Tomato. I am on the Board of Oklahoma Food-- a new concept of a
KCW> food system, where both producers and buyers are our members,
KCW> and everything is from Oklahoma. I write grants, grow a garden
KCW> and have an attorney license, although the closest thing I do
KCW> to legal practice these days is incorporating Cherokee
KCW> community nonprofit groups.

KCW> Check in. What is your interest in sustainable ag? And what are your
KCW> skills, interests, dreams, intentions, etc.?
KCW> Kathy
KCW> Tahlequah, OK
SERAnet co-moderator

Good post. SERAnet's first. (Had a couple of typos though).