sc-announce - [sc-announce] "Talis offers free data hosting for open data" - Science Commons blog

sc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Science Commons Announcements

  • From: Kaitlin Thaney <kaitlin AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: sc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [sc-announce] "Talis offers free data hosting for open data" - Science Commons blog
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:57:37 -0400

Talis offers free data hosting for open data

April 9th, 2009 by Kaitlin Thaney

The folks over at Talis recently announced a new free data-hosting service for open data, the “Talis Connected Commons”.

The service provides free data hosting up to 50 million RDF triples and 10Gb of content for “qualifying” data sets, as specified by their Web site.  To qualify for entry, the data and content must be made available to the public domain either under CC0 - a waiver we recently released that allows for one to waive all rights over their work, or the Open Data Commons Public Domain Dedication and License.

I further bore into the details regarding hosting public domain data, inquiring whether or not data naturally in the public domain and not marked by CC0 or the PDDL would be allowed in the system. Talis’ Leigh Dodds, after a few email exchanges, expressed their desire to have the data clearly marked via CC0 or PDDL, but assured me that data already in the commons — for example, the human genome — would not be excluded.

Confusion clarified.

We commend Talis for using CC0 as a means to clearly mark and identify public domain data, and look forward to see what fruit this tree will bring for the open data / linked data communities.

For more information, visit their Web site and FAQ.

--
http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2009/04/09/talis-connected-commons/

  • [sc-announce] "Talis offers free data hosting for open data" - Science Commons blog, Kaitlin Thaney, 04/09/2009