rarefruit - Re: [RareFruitIbib] Most cold tolerant lemon

rarefruit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A list for people who research, grow and love rare fruit. Focus on tropical/subtropical fruits: their identification, botany, preservation, and culture.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd AT dataone.in>
  • To: Cathe' <sunshine.works AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Rarefruit list <rarefruit AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NAFEX <nafex AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Garden Writers -- GWL -- The Garden WritersForum <gardenwriters AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Catriona Tudor Erler GWL <cterler AT gardenvista.com>
  • Subject: Re: [RareFruitIbib] Most cold tolerant lemon
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:35:32 -0800

Dear Cathe,

It is very difficult to make a prediction.  But the areas where apples grow here, gets snowfall and the minimum temperature can go down upto -5 C.  There are no trials carried out on its cold resistance.  I cannot say if it will resist -10-12 C.  But it will be worth trying.

Here is the Fruitipedia link for it:

It has a quite long range of climate and starts growing from subtropical areas.  It grows semi-wild.  It is a very popular fruit and widely used for pickling and as a souring agent in preparing Indian dishes.

It is more near to lemon and the common English name is "Hill Lemon".

It is a better sour fruit than the common European lemon and should be promoted.  About 20 years ago, I had written an article on it in POMONA, the quarterly magazine of the North American Fruit Explorers.  The article evoked a great interest and I had received over 100 letters (there was no e-mail during those days) in response to that article.

The season for galgal will start soon and I can send few seeds to those who are interested in trying it.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com