poly-p-ux - [Poly-p-ux] I'm writing you a package manager

poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "David Forsythe" <dforsythe AT gmail.com>
  • To: poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Poly-p-ux] I'm writing you a package manager
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:52:57 -0400

So, I'm (ha1f) bored as all hell and I decided I'd write you a very simple package manager.  I'm hoping to have it usable in the next two weeks because it's going to be extremely minimal and simple.  My goal isn't to make it particularly fast, but rather to keep whatever doesn't need to be on the disk off of it.  Basically here's the plan:

- Single file holds information about where to fetch package listings.

- Package listings will themselves be text files.  Ideally, you can even host them on you ibiblio site because they shouldn't ever get too heavy.  They're fetched when needed by the package manager and deleted after the run unless told other wise.  The listing will hold package names, revision numbers (those are set by the list maintainer), download links for files, and then links to a single script which can do things like fetch and apply patches.  So, for instance if you want nethack, the package manager would grab the listing, find nethack, grab nethack (hopefully hosted by the nethack peoples), grab the script, then act.  Obviously, this is compile centric, which I probably not ideal, so I might add an entry for a binary link that can be used if the end user so desires.

- Basic functionality is all it needs, so add and remove will be in there of course.  I'm not sure about update, but there will definitely be a way to check for out of date packages.

- It should extensible with shell scripts, so adding features won't require hacking and rebuilding C code.

That's all I have right now, it's really just like super light pkgsrc.
--
David Forsythe